April is the first time of the year that it really starts to feel like spring Washington – and it also happens to be Lawn and Garden Month. For Western Exterminator, there’s no better way to celebrate lawns and gardens than talking about Springtails.
Why Springtails? They are one of the most beneficial lawn and garden bugs you will find. Keep reading to discover the wonderful world of Springtails – the most natural pest control in Washington.
- Springtails feed on decaying plants and vegetables, along with common plant-killing fungi
- They also help spread good fungi in agriculture and gardens
- Another food source for springtails are decomposing animal matter like flies and earthworms
- Disease-causing micro-organisms are also a favorite food of theirs
- Springtails are the main reason the biological environment in your garden stays balanced
- They do a lot of the dirty work for you, helping you keep your garden tidy
A Word of Warning
Despite their helpfulness in the garden, sometimes they can get out of control both outside and inside your home. If their population becomes too large, they can actually begin to feed on roots and shoots of garden plants. They may even spill over to the rest of your lawn, as long as there is moisture and decay.
Springtails can get in your home very easily, entering through gaps around doors and windows. Once they get inside, they don’t tend to live long – unless they have found a damp environment like basements or bathrooms. They will also thrive on indoor potted plants. They don’t bite, spread disease, or bother pets, but they can cause mild itchiness on your skin.
If your garden is being overrun with springtails, there are many options for natural pest control. Reducing the watering of your garden and removing any fungal growths you have is a great start. If they’ve gotten into your home, though, it may be time to call a professional exterminator to help you determine the best course of action.
Keeping springtails in your garden and out of your home is a specialty of Western Exterminator. With our pinpoint system of pest control and our green pest management system, you can rest assured knowing we’re not putting unsafe chemicals in your home. Give Western a call today to protect your home from unwanted pests.