There are several pests out there which require the use of fumigation to get rid of the infestation. As a homeowner, you may have heard about fumigation being used to get rid of termite infestations. However, fumigation services can also be done to get rid of bed bugs, fleas, ticks, and other pests.
The fumigation method involves completely enveloping a home or business and then filling the space with a fumigant or chemical which will permeate the house. Fumigation is especially effective for termites, as the fumigant will seep into the wood to get rid of the entire termite colony at all life stages from eggs to adult.
Not every pest infestation requires fumigation, but every fumigation service requires property preparation. We will look at the fumigation preparation process here.
If you have any kind of pest control problem, contact your local Western Exterminator office today to discuss treatment methods, including fumigation.
Fumigation preparation steps
As a homeowner, there are several things you need to do in order to make sure your home is ready for fumigation. These steps include:
- Arrange accommodations so that you can be away during the fumigation process.
- Leave the keys to the property for the pest control specialist so they can get inside to perform the procedure.
- Remove all living things, including pets and plants, from the structures to be fumigated. Adding poison to the building can seriously harm or kill pets or plants.
- Remove or seal food, medicines, tobacco products, etc., in the provided fumigation bags or remove them entirely from the structure. Protect anything that might be ingested post-fumigation.
- Deeply soak dirt areas and garden beds immediately adjacent to your home to help with the seal of the tent.
- Rake gravel and dirt around the house to help make sure the tent is secure around the home.
- Open the interior doors to all of the rooms. This allows the fumigant to get to all areas of the house and ensures the entire home has been treated. Cabinets and other areas where there may be pests should also be opened.
- Make arrangements to have your local gas provider turn the gas back on the day you are certified to re-enter the property.
The fumigation process
A Western Exterminator pest specialist will determine whether or not fumigation is necessary to get rid of your pest problem. When we arrive and find the house empty, a large fumigation tent will be placed over the home to ensure the fumigant stays within the home to treat the pest infestation.
Once we verify that the home is empty and secure, the fumigant is released into the structure. The specialists precisely measure the fumigant based upon the weather conditions and cubic footage of your home. The fumigant will filter throughout the structure and penetrate into the wood in order to destroy the entire pest infestation.
The fumigation process eliminates the pests but does not cause damage to furniture, clothing, carpets or other areas of your home or business. The fumigant Western Exterminator uses will also not leave a residue so there’s no worry about that, either.
When the fumigation process is complete, our specialists will open the house back up to release the fumigant. Western Exterminator’s experts monitor the aeration process in order to ensure all the gas has been removed before certifying your home for re-entry. When you and your family return home, you can breathe easy knowing that the targeted insects have been eliminated.
Which pests require fumigation?
One of the most common uses for fumigation is to get rid of termites. However, other pests such as fleas, ticks, bed bugs and more can require fumigation. In addition to home fumigation and tent fumigation, there are types of fumigation for businesses including container fumigation. This process involves using fumigants for product shipments to ensure no pests are brought into areas via shipping containers and products.
Western Exterminator fumigation specialists
Whatever the type of pest you have around your home, you should contact the pest control specialists at Western Exterminator. Our specialists will study your situation and find out which type of pest is causing the problem. If it’s a pest that requires a fumigation service, our specialists will discuss this with you and offer you assistance, including detailed instructions about how to prepare for fumigation services.
Fumigation services are necessary and still the most effective way of removing some pests. Contact your local Western Exterminator office today to find out if fumigation is necessary for your pest control needs.