From the sparkling resorts in Palm Springs and Scottsdale, enormous casino hotels in Las Vegas or hotels in downtown San Francisco, to the cruise ships in Los Angeles Harbor, to the numerous fine dining and fast food restaurants throughout the region that serve thousands of hungry patrons, Western Exterminator protects them from unwanted and potentially dangerous pests.
The hospitality industry – hotels and resorts, cruise ships and trains, conference and banquet centers, plus fast food, casual and fine dining restaurants – is a multi-billion dollar business in the vacation-destination states Western Exterminator services.
Millions of guests eat or stay at these facilities and thousands of employees and vendors make their livelihood working in or selling goods and services to the hospitality industry.
One of the most vital services the hospitality industry requires is one guests don’t often see or hear much about – effective and reliable pest management services.
The risk that pests such as rodents, flies or bed bugs present to the hospitality industry is significant.
Cockroaches or rodents in a restaurant kitchen or bed bugs in the guest room of a five-star hotel, not only yield negative publicity for the brand but can have serious consequences in terms of fines and regulatory action from local health departments.
Western Exterminator’s Commercial Division specializes in servicing hospitality accounts and has decades of experience preventing and eliminating pests from checking into your hotel or ordering the daily special at your favorite restaurant!
Making Hospitality Venues Inhospitable To Pests
With guests constantly checking in and out of hotels, customers visiting restaurants or cocktail lounges, guests ordering room service, and the staff accepting daily deliveries from vendors, many of these facilities are buzzing with activity around-the-clock. As a result, it makes hospitality accounts prime targets for pests seeking food, water or harborage.
Even for facilities with shorter workdays, because of their “open” nature hospitality accounts are prime areas susceptible to pest threats and as a result must have an effective preventive pest management plan in place to maintain a pest-free environment.
The professionals at Western Exterminator have put together a list of Five Pest Hot Spots in hospitality accounts:
- Loading Docks/Receiving Doors – Hospitality accounts both large and small receive daily deliveries to replenish food stuffs and other supplies. Doors are often left open, especially during the warm summer months, and that provides pests including rodents, flies and birds an easy path into your facility. Make sure door sweeps are installed and there are no gaps under doors where pests can easily gain access. Whenever possible, keep those doors closed.
- Deliveries – Unexpectedly bringing pests in through deliveries is a common problem. The numerous boxes, bags and containers arriving from various vendors are prime hiding places and effective entry-points for pests to gain access to your facility. Making a careful inspection of all deliveries for signs of pest activity – gnawed boxes, rodent droppings or strange odors (stored product pests can cause flour to have an off odor) – is a recommended first step to keep pests out.
- Food Preparation Areas – Hospitality facilities serve thousands of meals each week to guests and staff. Moisture, humidity, oil, grease and food wastes are often found in abundance in these areas. Keeping grease traps clean using bio-remediation products and properly disposing of waste in sealed containers and dumpsters will keep from attracting flies, cockroaches and rodents.
- Laundry – The laundry in a hotel or laundry storage area in a restaurant is a beehive (excuse the pun!) of activity with food-soiled aprons, tablecloths, napkins, and in the case of hotels hundreds of pounds of towels and linens being processed on a daily basis. For in-house laundry rooms, the heat generated by washers and dryers attracts pests including cockroaches, silverfish and rodents. Having a pest management firm in place that understands these critical areas is essential.
- Guest Rooms – This is the last place a hospitality manager (or a guest for that matter!)wants to hear about having pests but with guests arriving and departing daily, the chances for a pest “checking-in” are high. Bed bugs are a highly mobile pest that can sneak in through a guest’s luggage or on their clothes. Cockroaches, ants and even mice can be unknowingly transported into the Presidential Suite. A solid partnership with a professional pest management firm can give you peace of mind that everything that can be done is being done to protect your reputation.
Do you have a question about establishing an effective preventive pest management program in a hospitality account? If so, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I’ll get back to you right away with the information you are looking for, or call us at 800-540-8151.
Until next time, thanks for making Western Exterminator Company “The Final Word in Pest Control®”
Have a pest free day!